Thursday, November 5, 2009

first fishing trip

Although I've never been known to be the "outdoorsy" type, I have always loved fishing. Fishing with my Dad. We would always bundle up and race down the lake in the boat to find the perfect spot (located above broken tree branches) to fish for crappie and bluegill. It is one of my favorite things in the world to do and it has been way too long since I've had that peaceful activity in my life.

So today, when my Dad wanted to know if it was too cold to take the kids fishing for the first time, I was thrilled. Now for most, it would have been too cold....but not for my Dad. He's not just the leisure fisherman, he is serious business fisherman. And he always took me when it was cold and I wanted my kids to have the real taste of fishing.

So we froze driving down the lake. The best part about freezing however is when you stop. Then the sun hits the lake's reflection and warms you up..........inside and out.



I love the quiet. The calm. The patience required to catch a fish.


And when you feel that first tug....it is exhilarating!

But the first catch is even more so!!!!









I'm so glad that my son loves my all-time favorite "fishing snack", Armour Vienna Sausage. Dad and I would have them every time I went fishing with him as a little (and not so little) girl.







We could several today. Zander was even pulling in some himself!!! Out of the 20 or so we caught though we only had 2 keepers. The kids were thrilled when we measured this one and it was 13 inches!







This week vacation to Kentucky is just what I've needed. After being sick I have felt better but this seems to be the rejuvenation I need to truly be me again. Going to the lake to go fishing today just made it even more perfect.


There is just something about fishing. It is a spiritual, soul-awakening, sense-refreshing experience for me. I can't wait to go next time.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like y'all had a great time! There's nothing better than crappie fishing! And vienna sausages are the best snack while fishing - we always take them on the boat with us! Fishing is one of my favorite ways to relax and forget about the world. It's very therapeutic.