Tuesday, November 18, 2008

short and blonde

Experimenting with my hair is not a new thing.  I've been doing it for years.  I think there has not been a year in the past ten that I kept the same color and cut for a full 12 months.  I keep trying to find what I like the best.

For several years now I would get in a mood to let my hair grow out.  I do for a while and finally get disgusted once it looks like a bird's nest or I start clipping it up in barrettes better suited for a six-year old.  And then I keep going to different stylists asking them to give me a new,  sassier, more updated look.   I usually love my new look for about 2 weeks and then decide it isn't really worth the hassle of blow-drying my hair straight or adding 4-5 products to upkeep this new look.  (I have very course hair which is wavy and wild when not tamed). 

And color.  Oh the colors I have adorned!  I truly am not sure there is one I haven't experimented with.  It used to be so bad that every time I went back home my cousin Jeff and friend Willy would usually look me over and say,  "Well, what color is it this time?"  I know they won't be disappointed that I've gone back one of my boldest (and most unnatural) colors.

I think I've been in the mindset that as a mom I should have natural-looking,  flowing hair.  That I would be that cute little mom pushing my stroller with my hair blowing back in the breeze.   So put together with my beautiful children.   But I'm not that perfect little mom....

So I decided to go back to my short and blonde look.  I've tried to go this blonde with my last two "professional" colorings.  The stylist would just say "That blonde.  Oh,  I don't think you want to do that all at once.  Lets go gradual."
I don't know if it was my impatience, my budget, or Matt saying, "You used to color your hair all the time by yourself and I always liked it better" that made me just go for it and go blonde again.  And short again.  
I do love being short and blonde and he loves it too.  It is much easier to work with and when I look in the mirror, I think it looks like me.  Not the me I've been thinking I should look like lately.   


5 comments:

8invitations.com said...

there's my punk girl. rocking the suburbs...

craftykorisa said...

Thanks Jen....that is exactly what I'm wanting to be....the punk girl again!

RYD said...

He's right - you look awesome. :)

(by the way, as a woman with wild, curly hair that is never tame, I feel your pain, sister!)

Anonymous said...

You look GREAT!!!!! Where is the before picture?

Anonymous said...

Yep...that is sooo you. Perfect!! I love it!